Welcome to the OTAC Advocacy Center!
The OTAC Advocacy and Government Affairs Committee is dedicated to ensuring a proactive and timely response to legislative or regulatory activity which may impact the practice of occupational therapy. Read more about the Committee's purpose and functions.
Oppose AB1510 - Protect OT Scope of Practice
Thank you for your support! This bill has been defeated.
Despite OT and PT strong objection, the Assembly Arts, Entertainment & Sports Committee approved AB 1510 - Athletic Trainers. The bill is now moving to the Assembly Business & Professions Committee for a hearing on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 9:00am in Room 4202 in the State Capitol.
We need your continued urgent opposition and personal testimony.
Click here for AB 1510 Oppose Template Letter
Click here for AB 1510 Bill Language
Call, fax or email members of the Assembly Business and Professions Committee and urge them to oppose AB 1510 - TODAY!
Assembly Member Evan Low (Chair) - Phone: (916) 319-2028 Fax: (916) 319-2128
Assembly Member William P. Brough (Vice Chair) - Phone: (916) 319-2073 Fax: 916-319-2173
Assembly Member Dr. Joaquin Arambula - Phone: (916) 319-2031 Fax: 916-319-2131
Assembly Member Catharine B. Baker - Phone: (916) 319-2016 Fax 916-319-2116
Assembly Member Richard Bloom - (916) 319-2050 Fax: 916-319-2150
Assembly Member David Chiu - Phone: (916) 319-2017 Fax: 916-319-2117
Assembly Member Jordan Cunningham - (916) 319-2035 Fax: 916-319-2135
Assembly Member Brian Dahle - (916) 319-2001 Fax: 916-319-2101
Assembly Member Jacqui Irwin - (916) 319-2044 Fax: 916-319-2144
Assembly Member Susan Talamantes Eggman - (916) 319-2013 Fax: 916-319-2113
Assembly Member Mike A. Gipson - (916) 319-2064 Fax: 916-319-2164
Assembly Member Timothy S. Grayson - (916) 319-2014 Fax: 916-319-2114
Assembly Member Chris R. Holden - (916) 319-2041 Fax: 916-319-2141
Assembly Member Kevin Mullin - (916) 319-2022 Fax: 916-319-2122
Assembly Member Marc Steinorth - (916) 319-2022 Fax: 916-319-2122
Assembly Member Philip Y. Ting - (916) 319-2019 Fax: 916-319-2119
About AB 1510. This bill would provide for the licensure of athletic trainers, as defined, by the Athletic Trainer Licensing Committee (that would be under the California Board of Occupational Therapy). This bill would define athletic training as: "Risk management and injury or illness prevention; the clinical evaluation and assessment of an injury sustained or exacerbated while participating in physical activity or a condition exacerbated while participating in physical activity. The rehabilitation and reconditioning from an injury sustained or exacerbated while participating in physical activity."
This bill would:
- Provide for the licensure of athletic trainers, as defined, by the Athletic Trainer Licensing Committee
- Allow athletic trainers to perform risk management and injury or illness prevention
- Allow athletic trainers to perform clinical evaluations and assessments of an injury sustained or exacerbated while participating in physical activity or a condition exacerbated while participating in physical activity
- Allow athletic trainers to perform rehabilitation and reconditioning of an injury sustained or exacerbated while participating in physical activity
- Allow direct access to rehabilitate anyone that presents injury illness.
Resources to Help You Be a Stronger Advocate for OT
Tips for Building Effective Relations with Elected Officials | download
Be a Virtual Advocate
- Internet. You can support advocacy by listening to hearings, floor sessions and press conferences over the Internet. Check it out.
- TV. You can view legislative proceedings on the California channel. Check it out.
- Locate and Track. Do you want to find legislative bill information on your own? Track bills of interest to you? Bookmark your favorite bills? Go to this link. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/
- Find Your Legislator. Find your legislator by zip code and links to legislators' websites. Check it out at www.leginfo.ca.gov.
OTAC-PAC - make an online donation today, or download the donation form. Political contributions help ensure OTAC's access to political decision so that we can advocate on important issues for occuaptional therapy practitioners. Click here to learn more about the PAC.
- California Office of the Governor - www.gov.ca.gov.
- California Board of Occupational Therapy (CBOT) - attend their Board meetings, dates and location are posted under Board. Locate information about licensing and proposed and new regulations. www.bot.ca.gov.
CBOT Committees - You are invited to participate.
- Division of Workers Compensation - http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/dwc_home_page.htm.
- AOTA Federal Affairs information - www.aota.org. Click on Federal Affairs.
Contact the Committee Chair to learn more about their activities and how to volunteer:
Sabrena McCarley. MBA-SL, OTR/L